Do braces for weight loss work? Inter-arch dental fixation also known as jaw wiring is when wires are woven between teeth on the upper and lower jaw, leaving eyelets to which joining wires are attached.
In the 1970s, braces for weight loss became popular when doctors wired shut the jaws of people for up to a year to help them lose weight. Studies found that people did lose weight initially, but many of them regained the weight after doctors removed the jaw wires.
Over the years, more studies have been conducted and they have found that there are many dangers to getting braces for weight loss. In fact, crash diets don’t work because they don’t teach healthy lifestyle changes.
The safest solution to weight loss is a healthy diet and regular exercise. It's also recommended to visit a specialist like a dietitian for advice on the best eating plan in the case that you want to lose, gain or maintain your weight; or visit an orthodontist for diagnosing, intercepting, preventing, and treating different issues related to your teeth.
Why get braces
Braces will straighten your teeth, fix bite issues, and improve the overall appearance of your smile. There are different types of braces and reasons to get them, these include:
- Overbite: Do your bottom teeth sometimes bite into the roof of your mouth or completely disappear when you bite?
- Underbite: Do your lower teeth overlap your top front teeth when you smile?
- Gapped Teeth: Are your teeth irregularly spaced, creating wide gaps in your smile
- Crowded Teeth: If it seems like there isn’t enough room in your mouth for all your teeth.
Why Get Jaw Wiring
Patients get Corrective Jaw Surgery for numerous reasons such as:
- you have a jaw deformity
- you have temporomandibular joint dysfunction
- your jaw doesn’t align properly
- you’ve been in a traumatic accident and have injured, fractured, or broken your jaw,
- you have other jaw-related dental issues that cannot be corrected with orthodontics
Risks of Jaw Wiring for the wrong reasons
There are many risks to getting braces for weight loss and if you choose to do so, it’s highly recommended that you carry wire cutters at all times to clip the wires in your mouth if an emergency occurs.
- Choking while your jaw is wired
- The bracketed teeth often suffered severe, irreversible periodontal damage.
- Bleeding from surgical incisions.
- Several patients also developed psychological disorders like claustrophobia, anxiety, and eating disorders.
Are you thinking about getting braces? Contact PretoriaSmile today for a consultation.